After the scare that came out a number of years ago regarding how some of our societies elderly were being treated in retirement homes, a number of people started to reconsider if that was the kind of environment that they wanted to put their aging family member in. Because of the amount of attention and media that those problems received though, now a days the retirement homes and assisted living facilities out there have really turned around and are trying to provide the very best care that they possibly can.
Since there are so many different kinds of assisted living facilities out there that cater to a vast range people with different capabilities it is difficult to say what any assisted living facility should have or what they should do. It is all dependent on the person and their needs. Some facilities focus on giving the residents as much freedom as possibly and just being there just in case something unexpected happens while other assisted living facilities that have more residents that need dementia care or Alzheimer’s care are a bit more hands on and watch the residents a little bit closer.
For the assisted living facilities that focus particularly on residents who need specific help with memory care like Mount Carmel Assisted Living, you can tell that the services that they offer are really focused on helping residents with a specific set of problems. Here are just some of the services that they offer just as examples:
- 24 hour supervision by qualified personnel
- 24/7 video monitoring of entire facility
- Assistance with activities of daily living
- Private or semi-private rooms available
- Assistance with personal hygiene and bathing
- Assistance with prescribed medications
- Three nutritional meals a day (special diet prepared as needed). Complementary snacks and beverages between meals
- Assistance with feeding
- Daily housekeeping services; linen and laundry services at no extra charge
- Transportation to medical appointments
- Diabetic care
- Incontinence care
- Access to rehabilitation therapy and nursing care
- Wrist band monitoring for at risk residents
- Individual portable call buttons
While some of these services would be offered at any kinds of assisted living facility, there are some that show that Mount Carmel Assisted Living really focuses their plan on how to deal with residents who might be fine on their own, but who also might get a little bit lost or confused. When assisted living places like Mount Carmel Assisted Living are prepared to handle the worst case they have the knowledge and the infrastructure in place to handle everything else that comes their way.
Before you start looking around at different assisted living facilities in your area for a loved one, it is important to consider and really grasp the level of care that they need. Assisted living communities can be great for people and give them great joy in their last years or, if they are poorly matched and around people who are not at their same level, it can be a miserable experience.